GIDHR: Judiciary Verdicts Serious Indication on What Awaits Al-Araibi if Extradited to Bahrain
2019-01-29 - 10:36 م
Bahrain Mirror (Exclusive): The Gulf Institute for Democracy and Human Rights (GIDHR) issued a statement saying that Hakeem Al-Araibi is one step away from being handed over to Bahrain which he fled.
Yehya Al-Hadid, president of GIDHR, said "the Bahraini courts issued harsh sentences today, including death sentences against political prisoners and life terms against opposition leaders. This is a dangerous indication on what awaits Hakeem in case he is returned to Bahrain."
"FIFA has to use its authority and end this man's suffering. We believe it can do this," Al-Hadid said, calling on "Thailand not to respond to the extradition request and stick to its international commitments regarding not sending any person to a state where he might face torture."
Al-Hadid commented on the Interior's Ministry statement saying "Judge Mohammed bin Ali Al Khalifa, who sentenced Al-Araibi, upheld the verdict against prominent human rights defender Nabeel Rajab, a few days ago, over a tweet he published on his Twitter account. The judge is also accused of issuing dozens of arbitrary sentences against prisoners of conscience in Bahrain. He also stripped 57 citizens of their nationalities over political reasons. He is the same judge who issued a 9-year jail term against Sheikh Ali Salman, despite the international community's condemnation of this ruling."
Al-Araibi has criticized the Bahraini government since his escape and resorted to Australia. He spoke out about serious human rights violations in his country.
He also criticized Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, the current AFC president and FIFA vice president when he ran in FIFA's elections in 2016.
- 2023-03-28HR Organizations Call for Activating "Magnitsky Act" to Hold Perpetrators of Violations Accountable
- 2023-03-28Sayed Al-Ghuraifi Calls for Purifying Climate, Initiating Serious Dialogues
- 2023-03-28Maryam Al-Khawaja: Bahrain Regime Setting up Circumstances to Cause Death of My Father and Other Prisoners, West Government Should Move before It's Late
- 2023-03-26Sheikh Al-Sadadi Calls to Make Use of Holy Month of Ramadan to Resolve Outstanding Issues, Release Prisoners
- 2023-03-24Gov't to Refer General Budget to House of Representatives on Monday: Sources