Russian Foreign Minister Visits Bahrain, Heads to Riyadh to Meet Gulf Counterparts
2022-06-01 - 2:54 p
Bahrain Mirror: King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa received, on Monday (May 30, 2022), at Al Sakhir Palace, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Bahrain News Agency reported.
The two officials discussed during their meeting the importance of resolving the conflict in Ukraine in a way that achieves the interests of the two neighboring countries and the security and stability of the European continent. The King extended sincere greetings to President Putin.
Lavrov later met Crown Prince and Prime Minister Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa in a separate meeting and then headed to Riyadh, where he is supposed to meet foreign ministers from Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states.
This is the first visit by a senior Russian official to the Gulf region since the start of the Russian war on Ukraine and the subsequent unprecedented sanctions by the United States and the European Union against Russia.
The Gulf states are allies of the United States and the West. However, they decided to take a distance from what is happening in Ukraine and maintain good relations with Russia.
- 2023-03-24Gov't to Refer General Budget to House of Representatives on Monday: Sources
- 2023-03-24On Int'l Day for the Right to the Truth, Salam Demands Revealing Violations
- 2023-03-24US State Department on HR Conditions in Bahrain: Ongoing Torture, Discrimination against Shiites
- 2023-03-23More than 30 Lawyers File Complaints to Prosecute Citizen under Pretext of "offending them"
- 2023-03-23NPRA Employee Sentenced to One Year in Jail for Disclosing Secrets and Photos of People