Khalil al-Halwachi Released after More than 7 Years in Prison
2022-02-03 - 9:18 p
Bahrain Mirror: Bahraini security authorities released (February 3, 2022) Khalil al-Halwachi, a prominent Islamic Action Society (Amal) figure, over 7 years following his arrest, within the framework of the Alternative Penal Code.
Al-Halwachi was arrested on September 3, 2014 and sentenced to 10 years in prison in a politically-motivated case. Both the Court of Appeal and the Court of Cassation upheld the ruling.
In July 2019, the Bahraini authorities refused to release al-Halwachi under the Alternative Penal Code despite his old age and him suffering from chronic diseases; however, after a year and a half, they did release him under this law, as per the directives of the Crown Prince to expand the implementation of the law, under which a convict would serve his sentence outside prison within specific restrictions and conditions until the completion of his term.
Over the past two years, the security authorities have released dozens of political prisoners in separate batches.
- 2023-03-22Interior Minister Says "Open Prison" Stage will Begin in Ramadan
- 2023-03-22Finance Ministry: Bahrain's Public Debt Amounts to BD16.7 Billion
- 2023-03-20Abdulwahab Hussein Calls for Dedicating Day to Prisoners to be Commemorated Annually
- 2023-03-19Bahrain Almost Ignited Crisis with Cyprus by Raising Flag of Cypriot Territory occupied by Turkey in IPU Meetings
- 2023-03-17Sarhan: Families of 138 Detained Children Complains about Delay in Applying Article 87 of Restorative Justice for Children