Washington Expresses Concern over Sharif’s Arrest, Milad’s Trial and Re-opening of Sheikh Ali Salman’s Case
2015-07-15 - 7:47 p
Bahrain Mirror (Exclusive): The US State Department said that the arrest of recently released Bahraini opposition leader Ibrahim Sharif, the detention and prosecution of opposition figure Majeed Milad, and reports about the re-opening of the case against Secretary-General of Al-Wefaq Political Society Ali Salman "raise serious concerns about restrictions on freedom of expression in Bahrain."
In a statement on Tuesday, July 14, 2015, the US said: "While we welcome initial reports that Bahraini rights activist Nabeel Rajab has been released from jail, we continue to encourage the Government of Bahrain to respect the freedom of expression -- a universal right enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, to which Bahrain is a party."
"As we have consistently maintained, opposition parties that peacefully voice criticism of the government play a vital role in inclusive, pluralistic societies. We urge the Government of Bahrain to protect the universal rights of freedom of expression and assembly, just as we urge all elements of Bahraini society to engage in peaceful expressions of political opinion and to condemn violence," the US State Department further stated.
- 2023-06-06British MP Charged with Racially Aggravated Public Order Offence
- 2023-06-05Sheikh Al-Daihi: No One can Silence Bahraini People's Voice with Imprisonment, Torture and Killing
- 2023-06-05Friday Sermons at Imam Al-Sadiq Mosque Contains "Legal Violations", Justice Ministry Claims
- 2023-06-05Saudi Arabia Executes 3 Youths from Qatif over Fabricated Charges
- 2023-06-04MoI Threatens Al-Markh and Karimi Obsequies of Using Force if They Hold Events Commemorating Imam Khomeini
comments powered by Disqus